Here’s your chance to make a difference in our community! We have a number of hours for Peer Support work available. At Balance Aotearoa our vision is to work in partnership with our communities to improve the health and social status of all by a peer support approach. i.e. support through people with lived experience.
We are looking for people to work for us in the community, and within Whanganui District Health Board’s Mental Health and Addictions Services Inpatient Unit Te Awhina and the Stanford House Forensic Unit. Our peer support services provide peer support, advocacy, group facilitation and recovery coaching to people who are working towards their mental health and addiction recovery. You will need to be flexible with your hours to meet the needs of the respective services and locations where Balance provides Peer Support services.
To be successful in this position you will have the following attributes:
- Respectful non-judgmental attitude and demonstrate kindness and compassion.
- Experience of mental health and/or addiction service use
- A background and understanding of recovery in mental health and/or addiction
- Ability to navigate the complex boundaries inherent in in recovery orientated peer support.
- Able to work respectfully with the Clinical Mental Health & Addiction Workforce
- Provide effective peer support and advocacy within the constraints of the MH& A legislation.
- Confident to facilitate groups
- Effective self-management
- Good communication skills
- Computer skills in MS Office, Database systems and the internet
- Apply the significance of the Treaty of Waitangi
- NZQA Level 4 qualification with relevancy to Peer Support
- A driver’s licence is required
Balance Aotearoa supports ongoing training in bi-cultural relationally centred peer support, and recovery education program training of its staff.
Whanganui has something for everyone. From excellent education and sports training facilities, outdoor adventure pursuits, great value-for-money housing in New Zealand and a maximum 15 minute drive from most suburbs to the central business district, or Whanganui Hospital.
PO Box 102
Applications submitted MUST include a CV and cover letter. A Police check will be required.
Closing date: 5 pm August 23rd 2018